Monday, February 11, 2008

Owens and Romo talk love and football

Jessica Simpson may have accompanied Tony Romo to Hawaii in preparation for the Pro Bowl, but that doesn't mean he didn't find some time to shoot the Hawaiian breeze with teammate Terrell Owens.
Fox Sports sat down to talk to Dallas Cowboys Pro-Bowlers, Terrell Owens and Tony Romo this week in Hawaii. In the interview, they debated karaoke skills, friendship, the Super Bowl and what it is like to have 13 Dallas Cowboys at the Pro Bowl.

Check out a few excerpts below:

Fox Sports: How did you guys hit it off?

Owens: "With the reputation I had coming to Dallas, I demanded we be friends. (Slamming his hand on the table) We're going to be friends and nothing else."
Romo: (Laughing) "I'll always be close to people who want to work hard and win. It's easy to like someone like that. And he's got a good personality. He enjoys being around the guys. We just talk about the game a lot."

Fox Sports: After the game when you got emotional, I thought that was one of the more touching things in sports I'd seen in a while.


Owens: "I already knew what (questions) were going to be directed. What was more important is how we lost the game, what we didn't do right. But I knew (the media) was going to hit me with stuff like, 'Could it have been possibly Tony's preparation and him going to Cabo (with Simpson during the Cowboys' bye week)?' That had nothing to do with nothing. That was like a week beforehand. I didn't want it to go there.

"I've been in that situation before where you get criticized unfairly for sometimes doing the right thing or what you think is the right thing. Obviously, he did what the coach allowed any of the players to do. The thing I hate about it is they didn't invite me to come with them."

Fox Sports: Tony, how do you have to change your life now because of all the attention your relationship with Jessica is getting?

Owens: "I think he's in way over his head."
Romo: "(Smiling) Definitely not. I don't read the stuff like everyone else does, so it doesn't affect me. If I were to watch and read everything that is written and said, as a human being it would probably be difficult.

"I came to an understanding a little while back that no one is going to remember me in five or seven years anyway so let them talk and say what they want to say. In seven years, I'm going to be off doing whatever and living normal so it's like, 'Work hard. Try to do things right in life and forget about the rest of the junk.'"

Fox Sports: Tony, when you first saw T.O.'s post-game interview, what did you tell him?

Romo: "We (text messaged). I told him it meant a lot because you could see that he cared about me and the team. It's like what you said: Any time someone shows a passion for the game, you get excited. You want people who want to win, be competitive and be there for their teammates. That's few and far between in this day and age, but he did that. I think it's just a case where a lot of guys on our team actually enjoy being around each other. That showed."

No comments:

Google